Thursday, April 4, 2013

Not Enough

After dinner with a friend last night, I woke this morning with my eyes almost swelled shut. It is allergy season. The occasion of the dinner was prompted by the arrival of another friend, who is a pioneer in the field of domestic violence and Asian women. She will be speaking tonight at VA Tech.

This will be a short blog today...or so I am planning. Being manic at the moment, with lots to do, I am just not getting enough sleep. That's what I call 4 hours a night. Not enough.

And with lots to do, I am not blogging enough, but I didn't want to go 2 days without reaching out. I had Borderline Personality disorder group therapy yesterday. The group is dwindling, which is a normal course of events. Only the most devoted will come out once a week for a year. The program at another facility is 3 years. That's a lot of commitment for anyone.

Yesterday, the group was reminded of how very little the professional community was interested in investing in the hundreds of hours required to work with people with a Borderline diagnoses. The stretch for people in the field can be incredible. There is just not enough of them. It is not a specialty that pays, except in emotional satisfaction...and it is not a disorder that is 'romanticized' in any way. There is just not enough known about it, and the treatments are so new. It's actually The Treatment, Dialectic Behavioral Therapy, invented about 20 years ago by a woman whose name I don't recall...of course. There are precious little drugs for BPD.

Most of the drugs for it are off label, and it is not understood how they work on the brain, just the same as the meds for Bipolar disorder. Which is very frightening to think about. Think about it.

I promise a longer blog tomorrow...just have to close my eyes for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment