Thursday, March 28, 2013

It Bugs Me

Getting over another Facebook post about how all military veterans are mentally ill and shouldn't have guns. Ok. I am all for gun reform. I am all for military veterans. And God forbid that being in a war, in whatever capacity, shouldn't change a person. It's going to, Ladies and Gents. It's called 'experience' and 'education.'

Just to clear up the nit picky stuff ahead of time.

And we certainly know where I stand on mental health diagnoses. What triggers fear for me? The implication that violent, killer predators are just your average Joe with a mental health diagnoses. This is called demonization, folks. It's called stereotyping. It's called prejudice.

Believe it or not, I am on the verge of dating. You know, a cup of coffee (what the hell else?) and some pleasant conversation, meeting people with common interests. Some of my friends tell me, "Don't tell them about all your issues up front." I don't, but have in the past, in the interest of education and advocacy about people with mental diagnoses.

What comes up, is a look at my Facebook page, with the little notation under "About," with a link to this blog. The manner in which I was raised, I am not sure that my diagnoses are an "issue." Anymore than my father's attendance at the "March on Washington" at Dr. King's invitation, so long ago. Believe it or not, my father's participation in that famous event, in the past, has lost me friends, and dates. I can't say that I regret those losses.

And I suppose, in a way, my friend is right. It's society's stage of development, the very reason I speak out, the fact that there is a terrible stigma associated with mental health diagnoses. I suppose that it would be like showing up on a date, with an extra finger on one hand. Only, somehow, we are "sneaky" about it...it doesn't show.

No, it's not something I want to bring to the conversation.  I am more advocate, than agitator. Education, and not aggression, is needed. However, I would not invite someone to inspect my appendectomy scar...TMI, Ladies and Gentlemen. Too much Information.  And yes, there is that slight nod to, 'what is expected.'

It's the turn of the century version of a '60's mindset. "We lay our cards out front, so there is no excuse for confrontation or suspicion, later." Transparency is the term today. It's the subject of I'm Ok, You're Ok, which was a definitive book in the '70's. "Let it all hang out" has become, "Let your freak flag fly."

Now that I have that off of my chest: I am simply going to enjoy several cups of coffee with possible friends. I am not my diagnoses, although there can be amazing gifts to a 'disorder,' there can also be unimaginable pain. But there is always Me down in there. The Me that almost everyone else has, excepting Karl Rove.




No comments:

Post a Comment