Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Liminal Reading

For out-of-towners: Liminal, An Alternative Artspace is an event created by Cara Ellen Modisett to showcase local talent. It's held at the Community High School, in downtown Roanoke. Local and guest artists are invited to share their work in an informal setting, a "conversation".

I have been privileged to be able to read at two of these events. I have to say, last night was my favorite. Usually a theme is set, and writers loosely keep to the topic. Last night, it was a no-holds-barred free for all. Writers are also filmed and posted on Youtube, so if you want to meet me, you can Google the event...

I read about my adventures in Scotland, with my brother, Marc. It's actually on my blog, "Whisper of Fields" at http://whisperoffields.blogspot.com/

My reading is from the very beginning of Whisper of Fields. I hope it brings as much fun reading, as it did writing.

I would like to start blogging from Whisper of Fields again, but don't want to confuse, or lose readers. Let me know what you think, won't you?

I struggle this morning with feelings that are unpleasant. All the bane of an alcoholic/mental health diagnoses survivor: resentment, hurt, anger, grief, sadness and gratitude. It's a difficult time for me, but that's the life I live since my diagnoses.

Today is easier than yesterday, and perhaps tomorrow will be even easier, as I re-acquire my routine. There is a good deal of comfort, of course, in everyday events. Liminal made me feel amazing, and I thank Cara, Maurice, and the other writers and the audience for that. I suppose it is meant to be a showcase of talent. But I see it as a way to have a conversation with thirty people at once. That is an astonishing interaction, from both sides. 

I have been asked to pull the weeds from around the paving stones outside. I kept saying, "The violets?" because violets they are. I like their broad, spade shaped leaves, even after the violets have faded. I was assured, in a firm voice, that they were weeds.

I need to mow the lawn, and weed the front beds, which of course, is much more important, and should remain my first priority. There is a bright yellow wildflower out there, as well. It's leaves look a bit like wild onion. The hydrangea is about to bloom, big blue blooms, and the impatiens need to go into the ground today. They do well in the strip of earth by the back door. I would love a rose bush, and climbing rose, out there as well. But higher Power doesn't make roses that like that much shade.

The lavender blooms, and spreads, at the same time. Clover dots the grass, and the azalea are pink blooms under the maple tree.  The poison ivy spreads there, as well. The lemony light that I love in the fall is replaced by a white dawn, and still cool breezes.

Kittens and unicorn meat eating cats get kisses this morning. Soon the kittens will go back to Angels of Assisi, to await adoption.

That event will be this Friday, May 24, 2013. I think I will pick that day to start blogging from Whisper of Fields again. This version, of the same blog, will wait until the winter, when the shadows of the trees line up like iron bars on the frost tipped grass.






No comments:

Post a Comment