Thursday, January 3, 2013

Same Time, This Year

Yes, Congress revoked their pay raise, fearing they wouldn't be reelected, no doubt, and proving that the voice of the American people can still be heard, out there in the distance, like the snort of a unicorn in a field...

Of course, the Violence Against Women Act is still unendorsed and lives in limbo. Which is just unexcuseable. If anything, you and I know it should be expanded.

The newest unicorn meat eating cat, Georgia, brave girl, made it all the way to the bed this morning. I suppose she decided that anyone who feeds her unicorn meat can't be all that bad. And so my arms were filled with her smallish body, gray and gold, and soft, soft, and purring. Ratty Catty is face down on the bed covers, and Minkins is hiding under the bed, his favorite scene.

And the days are getting longer, minute by minute, everyday. And February starts my favorite time of the year, as I count it a month of Spring. I suppose there are some who think of it as pre-Spring, the last of the Winter months...but not me.

I have walked on the Hollins campus in February, and have never seen a sky so clear, or smelled air so fresh. At this time, the sunlight has nothing in it's way, and it beams run like clear water in the air. The shadows of the trees are dark against the green of the moss, and Tinker Creek rushes like black silver between it's banks. The sand colored gravel Hollins lays down is more gold in the winter. And I walk knowing that soon, a pale green mist will blanket the trees. Not enough to hide their bones, but just enough to form their hair. Rock is dark gray this month, and the moss on it stands in giddy profusion.

I wait for the sun to rise...or the clouds to lift this morning, I can't tell which, yet. And so I'll see you tomorrow, same time, same place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment