Saturday, January 26, 2013

Old Moon

Last night was a full moon, and it so happened that a new snow fell in this small corner of the world. Unicorns are plenteous in the snow, and Ratty spent the night happily hunting. Which is not to say he didn't come in. And I took the dog, Max, out to say his farewells to the night, and the light of the full, old moon on the icy snow convinced us to stay out as long as we could. I could see my breath, and the rich velvet of the woods' shadows fell like iron bars on the field closest to us. I scattered what bread I had in the snow, for the dawn-feeders, and we came in, to a warm bed and some candles, scented like pine and cinnamon, and ginger.

It is truly winter in this small corner, and I am happy to see it come. It will be gone by next Tuesday, but it is a late Christmas present to see real winter come again.

Now, the Rat Cat and the fat dog sleep, and I have come to have coffee with you here and now. Or tea, if you prefer, I'm not a plutocrat. What is it you see outside of your window? There is still snow here, although it has warmed rapidly to a little above freezing, or 0 C. And it looks to be a bright day. I think it will be a laundry day, because there is nothing like the damp air coming out of a dryer to steam the windows and warm the dry, cold air.

I have been missing my blogs because it is the time to contemplate what I want to write, and what I want to do with what I write. February is spring for me. I suspect I am alone in this view in the small corner of the world I live in. Although that may be changing, global warming being what it is. I used to walk everyday in the winters, and by March, there was so much daylight it was useless to insist it was winter, still. So I set my own time back, and list February as a spring month now.

Anyway, Spring is almost here by my clock. And since the earth is washed clean in the spring, I feel renewed. I may not feel that way forever, so I look at this year as one to gather and edit my works, and publish. And if anyone out there wants to weigh in with their opinion on what and how I write, feel free to contact me. Constructive criticism please.

No comments:

Post a Comment