Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Way of the World

I have managed to offend a friend...not the friend who dumped me on Christmas Eve, but still yet, another friend. I don't know how I manage it, but it takes hard work and dedication...

Now that I am distressed about that, I am not sure what I am going to write about today.

One news event I have been following springs to mind...

 In case you missed it on CNN, or the BBC, a young paramedical student in New Delhi boarded a bus with a male friend after watching a movie. She was gang raped by a group of passengers, and beaten up, along with her friend, and they were thrown off the bus.

She has now died from her injuries. The good news is that massive protests are going on by the citizens of New Delhi. The terrible news is that of her passing. The government is calling for calm, and the citizens are holding out for the death penalty for the perpetrators. Which may not seem like too much in Texas, but, in a country where Hinduism predominates, it is, as they say, a big deal.

There are many side issues here in this story that I know I do not understand. I do know that India is more vast, with such a larger population than we have, that it is difficult to comprehend sometimes, for an American. India is the largest democracy in the world, with more ethnicities than one can 'shake a stick at.' And each of the thousands of ethnicities has it's own language and traditions, literature, and culture.

And yet this vast country, with all it's patriarchal leanings, takes notice of such a terrible crime as this, and rains protests down, enough to capture the world's attention.

Sometimes these are the things that I think about, and I would like to hear from you how you feel. Because we can discuss this as adults, and ponder together, in this day and age, on tragedies and what is casually and yet brutally called, "the way of the world."





1 comment:

  1. To me there is no question as to legitimate rape. If the mother decides to keep a child from rape that is her choice. But I am pro choice because we have so many choices to prevent pregnancy to begin with. Except in cases of extreme pregnancy issues (most mothers-to-be will keep the baby despite harm to them or the child) or rape/incestual rape.

    ReplyDelete