Thursday, December 20, 2012

More Fruitcake

Apparently, I cannot buy sweets without eating them. This will necessitate another visit to the country corner store to replenish my supply of Christmas candy...'tis the Season to gain enough weight so that I could pass for Mrs. Claus. And I have already opened one Christmas gift that has my favorite chocolates in it...admit it. You would do it too.

Bah Humbug.

It is hard not to write soft, marshmallow-sweet pieces of work until Christmas, and then turn into the curmudgeon that I really am. But I am paying more attention to the turning of the year this year, which to me has always seemed so arbitrary. I mean, you are celebrating another day out of the middle of nowhere. It's a bit like St. Valentine's day, the only secular holdover from the Saints' calendar. Where did that come from? As far as I can tell, it's another celebration of the color red in the middle of what most people think of as a dull and grey time of year.

Furthermore, it has the added benefit of adding stress to a romantic relationship. Will he get "the" gift? Will she remember the oil and feathers? 

That it is actually a blue, grey, golden fields, with the brightest, clearest skies time of year seems to escape some. No worries. Summer will again be here before you know it. And with global warming marching on rapidly, it just seems like we just got over the last summer as it is, and are still in late summer. This from a part of the country where the Arctic wind used to blow in January and February, and ice storms abounded. Do you remember how a good ice storm used to decorate the trees with fire from the sun reflecting off of the ice?

And since I like it cooler, rather than warmer, I am not celebrating the disappearance of really cold winters. Bah humbug.

And tomorrow is the end of the world, so I really should finish off what Christmas candy I do have left this morning...eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow is promised to no one...




No comments:

Post a Comment