Friday, December 28, 2012

Strip Search your Local Judge, Today.

Just found out that the Supreme Court upheld the right of police to strip search anyone who is arrested, even if it's a 'wrong' arrest. Wow. The conservative court, blowing your mind since whenever. Of course, they are lawyers, and will never be arrested, because they have pull. And being on the Supreme Court doesn't hurt. I'm sure it's marked on their license plates.

Not enough coffee in the world to deal with that.

You'll also be happy to know that therapy was a success yesterday. Houston, we have lift off...I just mean I am thinking more clearly, and feeling more ok in my own skin. Which is a nice post-Christmas present. I don't know what I would do without my therapist. But he should be stuck in a small corner and have incense and flowers placed in front of him.

Making bread today, yes, the old fashioned way, for a friend. It takes dedication to figure out which corner of the kitchen has no drafts, (so the bread can rise), and so I dreamed of making bread last night, which is better than the dreams the night before. Believe me.

This morning is a good omen. The wind has stopped, I feel good, and there are small, inconsequential sounds coming from the cats roaming about, and crawling in and out of things. You know that small prrt sound they make when they are curious? Or is it like sonar, sending out a sound to be reassured when you "prrt" back?

But other than the motivations of the cat mind, I really am not too concerned about the outside world today. It is running along, as it has for quite a long time. And Newtown, Connecticut has asked the public to stop sending gifts to them.

And my heart aches. It is not as if they don't deserve the gifts or a show of support, but how many who sent gifts know that a train runs in Appalachia, distributing gifts, to children who may not have a pair of shoes, or a meal that day? We are experts at the knee-jerk reaction, but seem to lack the stamina to tackle children starving in a remote corner of America. I think it's painful denial. And if you are offended I have compared this topic to the massacre in Newtown; may I ask why? We are not complicit in the Newtown deaths, and yet we are all complicit in the starvation of children within our borders.

I'm not trying to lay a guilt trip on you...it is something I feel guilty enough about for the both of us. And of course, Newtown was an unprecedented tragedy. Starving children in Appalachia is a problem since before the Civil War; which event just cemented the idea in the commercial mind. It has precedence, and so escapes our notice.

But be of good cheer. Buy one can of food and place it in the box that your place of worship has, or buy a bag of groceries for someone and leave it on their doorstep. I like buying cat and dogfood and leaving it at a church that I know collects petfood for those who will not part with their companion animals and yet have few resources to feed them. But I digress.

I suppose Newtown has triggered a burst of "what can I do" and I always answer: "Give locally."

No comments:

Post a Comment