Friday, November 23, 2012

Ashes

Ok. So we're over the feast and shopping to lose the extra pounds we put on. Stores are now opening on Thanksgiving Morning, to get a leg up on Black Friday Morning. Yeah, you heard me right. Now, retailers can't wait until Friday for people to shop...they have invented Black Thursday, formerly known as Thanksgiving.

Or you could be bold, like my sister, and go out and shop at midnight on Thursday/Friday. And you can tell at this point that I just can't drop it...but it simply boggles the mind that giant chain stores now say, "There is no holiday here that we can see. Let's add a day by commandeering the holiday." WTF?

 Despite my deprecating blog yesterday, it is saying something to take a day, despite retailers, and simply thank Your Share of the Universe for the food on the table, the roof over your head, the clothes on your back, and the human connections that we all must have. So many go without, and I suppose that was the motivation for the blog yesterday.

As for the unicorn meat eating cats at this house, they feed all the time, and I am grateful that none of them went hungry. I didn't buy them anything either.

The two boys have suddenly realized there is a female in their midst. While Max, the dog, discovered her the first day, the boys have been dense about her appearance. I suppose they thought I would shoot them a memo or notify them on their timeline if she was staying. But here she is, a grey calico, happily ensconced on top of the washing machine, grateful that she doesn't have to climb down to eat or drink.

And last Sunday, I talked to someone who had talked to someone who knew someone important in my past. Apparently, this important someone is not in good health, in fact it might be very bad indeed, I am not spectacularly sure, you can understand why. So this night I took out the photo albums with his picture in them, and tried to connect my thoughts with someone so long ago, and wish him well.

Regret and compassion live around his memory, this person from long ago, and I simply wish to talk to him, and ask him to forgive me, for what, I am not entirely sure...


1 comment:

  1. Ah... big box mentality. Gotta love it! NOT! Having worked in retail for 16 years, I have gotten to the point that I despise the sheep and the lemmings that would shop like this. Retail has made me who I am now, a small business owner and client of other small businesses. Small business gives about 68 cents per dollar back into the community! When was the last time anyone heard of WalMart giving directly back to their community? Through piss poor job opportunities making minimum wage with less health benefits and poor working conditions? This mentality has been the core to the deep descent of corporate piggery that we are putting up with. Yes, I will bash you, the shopper, for acting like one of the sows in the pig pen of the Animal Farm for accepting AND going as far as promoting this mentality of screw your neighbor. You are no better than the rich people who support immigration laws but hire undocumented workers as household help and get mad when you are caught. Grow up, grow a set, and make a stand against corporate wealth and culture! End rant. :)

    ReplyDelete